AMC Global’s ongoing research shows many consumers feel sustainability practices like recyclability and reduction of waste in manufacturing is important
Along with our partner, OpinionRoute, we conducted the latest wave of our ongoing consumer behavior study to discover preferences and perceptions regarding adult beverages, particularly regarding sustainability. Results revealed sustainability impact on consumer purchase decisions ranks relatively low for adult beverages, with taste and price ranking higher in importance. However, this does not mean that consumers are not looking at sustainability practices, with many saying they do think sustainability is important and that it somewhat influences choice. For sustainability in beverage packaging, study respondents say recyclability is most important. For sustainability in beverage production, reducing waste in the manufacturing process is most important to consumers.
To view a full graphic representation of the study, click here or on the callout below.
- Top purchase drivers for adult beverages are Taste/Flavor/Variety (40% share of decision), Price (26%), Brand (15%) with sustainability aspects accounting for 9%.
- When considering sustainability of adult beverage packaging, recyclability (29% share of importance) is most important, followed by made from recycled materials (16%), is biodegradable (13%), and reusable (13%).
- Sustainability on the production side of adult beverages shows that processes that reduce waste have the greatest share of importance (19%), followed by local production (reduce shipping) (15%).
- Seventy-four percent of consumers look for information about adult beverage sustainability on the package, 26% research it themselves.
- Whereas lower price is important to consumers, 59% still report that it is worth it to pay more for something that will help the earth in the long run.
See complete representation of the Trends & Sustainability in Adult Beverage here.
New results and findings will be released in Q2 of 2022. The study findings are designed to help clients and industry leaders navigate quickly changing consumer behavior. Contact us for more information.